Tuesday 17 July 2012

Ready, Steady, Crazy

Weight is always an issue. I think that its something thats at the back of just about everyones mind at some point or another. For me it has always come down to an unhealthy amount of laziness, I am really not the person that can be bothered to do anything about something. I would be lying if I said that I've never sat down and though my body looks like some kind of beached whale but I've never been moved enough by these thoughts to put anything into motion. When I tell people my dress size and how much I weigh, most of them are surprised and I dont blame them. I carry my weight extremely well (probably adding to the laziness on my part).

However over the last couple of months (hilariously I have naturally lost a couple of pounds before this) I am finding standing still to be horrendous pain. I can't currently stand still for more than five minutes without getting excruciating pain in my hips, lower back and knees (even my sciatic nerve likes to come and say hey around the ten to fifteen minute mark). This could be caused by a whole lot of things, I already have osteo problems in my hands so this could just be an extension of that, but I think the main culprit is most likely weight. Any doctor that sees me at my current BMI (this is a whole other argument about the meaning of BMI but it doesn't matter the outcome, this is the system that healthcare uses.) will not think about any underlying problems but will tackle the one easiest to see. I made up my mind. To go onwards I must at least make an attempt at losing some of this weight and becoming slightly more in the healthy range.

So where to start? There are so many "diets" out there that it gets a little dizzy trying to look at them all. I really didnt want to try any of these fad diets. No "Atkins" crap for me. This weight is coming off nice and steady and is hopefully not going to leave behind tonnes of skin ;) this idea also left out quite a lot of the "shakes" diets (thank god).

I found myself on the Weight Watchers website really through word of mouth from other people, I have tried some of their "slimming chocolate bars" and they taste freaking amazing so I figured this was a great place to start. To begin with I had utterly no intention of going to meetings, the thought of it makes me shudder but they have started a "play online" campaign so I was quite keen to see what it offered me. Its £10 a month and after the initial information regarding what foods are what points it offered me nothing. The advertising on the website was shit. The Stories Like Yours segment was full of people who were nothing like me. Weight Watchers had already, kindly, told me I was dangerously unhealthy and for my height and how I was way out of the regular weight but was quite happy to show me about people within the average weight-to-height ratio that had just lost a couple of pounds. Yeah. Thats really like my situation. Not. They also do a handy dandy pone app to help you work out points whilst on the move....oh but its only for iPhone users. So those of us mug enough to own an Android get even less use out of a subscription then? Awesome.

I ended up deciding to go alone. Food itself is so bastard expensive anyways, why should I pay money a month for someone to give me nothing in return? I know the daily calorie intake for a woman is supposed to be one 1500 and to give myself an easy start I wanted to go with 1300 a day. A nice healthy goal that should be easy to achieve but still a little hard given how many calories I probably consume in a normal day >.<

Lets do this. Obsess over food. Over numbers. I have to write something down about it. If I dont I will end up either having my brain explode from all the crazy or cause the very few people around me who I have told about the diet to want to kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment